Jack is supposed to sell the family cow to buy food for his family. Instead, he buys 5 beans that are supposed to be magical. Very irresponsible.
The magic beanstalk leads him to a magic kingdom where there is a castle. A giantess answers and is kind enough to feed him because he's hungry. Then she hides him from her husband. How does Jack repay her? He steals a bag of gold when the giant falls asleep.
After he spends the money he comes back for more. He lies to get back into the castle by pretending to be hungry again. That's when he steals the chicken that lays golden eggs.
He should be set for life, but greedy little Jack comes back and steals the singing harp. All the giant wants is his harp back, but Jack murders him by cutting down the beanstalk. And Jack is shown to be some hero.

So kids... the moral of the story is, if you put your greedy wants before your families, lie, steal, and kill anyone who tries to stop you, you'll live wealthy the rest of your life.
Someday I'll rewrite that story, and in the end Jack gets eaten by the giant as punishment for being such a horrible human being.
And the giant lives happily ever after.
The End.

6 comments:
Great Assessment! I was just talking to a boy in our primary and he told me the same thing! He's only 8 I think!
LOL!! Okay, that was awesome.
I, too, have found many scary themes in classic childhood tales. I finally did some research on the whole Jack in the Beanstalk tale and found one that was close to sounding justifiable.
I tweaked it a little and actually re-wrote it! haha. If you're interested, I'll forward it to you :)
Now I'm confused. Stealing and taking advantage of other people is bad? I'm going to have to retrain my kids to not do those things.
Dane
I love your pictures on the side bar! Especially the Yellowstone ones!! I LOVE Yellowstone!
omg- lisa! :) i hope you don't mind me checking out your blog...well, i didn't know it was yours. marie pointed me into your direction to seek "google reader" counseling and when your blog popped up i was like, "is that lisa c.???" i had totally forgot that you were now related to alan. anyways. i'm so excited to read through your blog. hope you don't mind. you have such a cute fam. and your little girl is absolutely adorable!
oh, and thanks for the google reader advice!
You are so dang funny! LOVE IT!!! Gosh, I miss ya. I think I'll be coming down for a flash later this month and just have to see you! I'll keep you posted.
Post a Comment