Thursday, April 24, 2008

Should Barney Live or Die? You Decide.

Everyone, meet Barney.



He's a little mouse that is living in our backyard. He comes to the sliding glass door from time to time to say hello. As far as we can tell, he doesn't have any friends or family. (We don't know if Barney is a he or a she, but whatever.)

We're trying to decide how to proceed. Should we befriend Barney or take his life? Hmmm...

Here is our argument for letting Barney live:
  • He's a great guy and fun to be around
  • He's an orphan
  • He'd be a low maintenance pet
... and our argument for killing him:
  • He's technically a pest
  • He might settle down with a female mouse and start a family in our backyard (then we would have to kill him, his wife, and his babies)
  • It's the right thing to do
We can't seem to decide so we need your help.

Should Barney live or die?



UPDATE: Shortly after this post we heard a ruckus in our backyard that ended in a high-pitched squeal. We have reason to believe Barney was eaten by a cat. R.I.P. Barney

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love animals, but Barney is probably not the best pet. DO NOT let him in your house! He could have all kinds of nasty diseases or parasites. When I was little we had a packrat (squirrel) living under our house making a mess- my dad caught it in a cage and took it to work and let it go in a field- and it hitched a ride back home!! He then had to kill it. Maybe you can catch Barney in a cage-trap and let him go somewhere else. It's the happy medium- he's still alive but off your property.

Lisa said...

I have to confess...

I fed him a grape yesterday.

Marie said...

Relocate him before you become more attached! Ahh! (But so funny!) And I'm so glad you put the how-to picture of the noose. I've been wondering...

To Jared: Kill Barney when Lisa's not looking. Don't even tell her you did it. Then next week, casually ask if anyone's seen Barney recently so you don't look guilty. As the man of the house, it's your job.

Marleen said...

I grew up with rats as pets. I don't think I would keep a "wild" pet though. Maybe he can find a home somewhere else.

Jared said...

Marie, Marleen: Relocation is not an option.
It's either live or die!

The Field's said...

I've had run in's with rats in my house out in queen creek and in my husbands office. Let me put it this way. You have a young child. It's either have your little princess get very very sick and wind up in the hospital, or have the mouse die. You choose...(sorry, had to be blunt. Doesn't seem worth it to me)

Patterson Family said...

Good time to get a cat. I hate cats too. He has to die one way or another. Have you thought about getting a dart gun. That would be fun. Okay a little phsyco.

Kasey said...

Do you really want Hannah to play with your new house pet? That's what I thought! DIE you nasty pest!

Tanya Leigh said...

Lol. Stop looking at the guy. Woah, shouldn't-a named it ;) and "Put that thing back where it came from, or so help me..." (Monsters Inc ;) Heaven's a way better place for the little scrounge.

darbs said...

toughie, but alas die die die