Sunday, November 16, 2008

Swedish Rootbeer

Every year at Christmas time in Sweden they sell this soda pop called Julmust. It's only sold during Christmas time so for only two months you can buy Julmust in the store.

Here are some interesting facts about Julmust from a trusted source:
  • Julmust was created in 1910 as a non-acoholic alternative to beer
  • 45 million litres of Julmust are consumed during December (to be compared with roughly 9 million Swedes, you do the math)
  • The consumption of Coca-Cola drops by as much as 50% over Christmas.
  • There is also påskmust (påsk "Easter") and Sommarmust (sommar, "summer")
Julmust has a very unique flavor. It's kind of rooty/earthy and carries a bite. It's definately an aquired taste, but when you aquire it you become addicted. (Maybe Lisa will weigh in on this)

They sell Julmust at Ikea during this time of year. I tried to get some last year but they were sold out. I was fortunate to snag half a case a couple of weeks ago. That first taste of Julmust in over two years, in the Ikea parking lot was amazing.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

It is an aquired taste. At first it was like grape cough syrup and I wasn't a fan. But now I compare it to liquid yumminess. A gulp of cold Julmust puts a satisfied smile on your face.

Marleen said...

Sounds similar to the homemade rootbeer my inlaws make. I wrote a whole post about it. I too grew to like it.

The Field's said...

I love Ikea so I'll have to pick some up while I'm there. By the way...HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow;)

Dusty said...

I love rootbeer. I'll have to go down to Ikea today and pick some up and try it.

Dusty said...

Ok - so I went to Ikea on Saturday with the sole purpose of purchasing some of the 'brew.'
The only thing I have left to say is that is not one 'acquired taste' I am not going to work at acquiring. But thanks for the opportunity to further acculturate myself. :)