Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm In The Middle Of Life Lessons.

Since marriage I've learned some lessons that I now apply to all my relationships (especially my kids). These were learned the hard way and I'm not not not perfect at them.

Choose Your Battles Wisely.
I can't argue about everything and still be happy. I pick the ones that count. Sometimes I consciously decide whether to battle it or let it go. If I battled every battle with my kids, I would yell all. day. long.

(Got into makeup and she's dressed wrong. Shrug... no harm done.)

Know Your Audience.
When asking for something, or starting a tough conversation, I try to know what makes the other person tick. What is my best approach with this person? If I want something difficult from Jared, I wait till he's relaxed on the weekend, not when he's just gotten home from a long day at school. This works very well with Telemarketers.


Control Your Emotions
I have a temper. And I cry. In parenting and marriage, being over-emotional leads to making wrong decisions or saying the wrong thing. I am starting to consciously control my emotions when my kids are driving me nuts. So far, the results are fabulous. I stay in control. I think before I talk. The outcome is usually happy, instead of spanks and timeouts.

Figure Out What You Need (the best lesson I've ever learned)
Life is hard. Figure out what you need to be happy and do it. Get it. Buy it. There's nothing enjoyable about being unhappy.

And no, shopping is not the answer. Wish it was though.

3 comments:

Marie said...

You are wise. (Seriously) I need to apply those in my life:)

Elizabeth said...

Good advice for all situations...I find life is better when I follow those rules, too.

Kira: said...

This post applies to be perfectly- especially the emotional part. Thanks for sharing your insight!