There. I said it.


(Hannah loves rocks too. Wonder where she gets it from?)
It started as early as 3 years old (maybe sooner). It was a passion that never went away. It just grew and got more awesome as time went on.
Oh how I love a pretty rock.
My hobby has even gotten me into trouble...
When I was 4 years old I collected rocks from from the ground at the Petrified Forest National Park (fyi- very illegal). A cop pulled us over because someone saw me do it. I remember being very scared and very upset that a cop took away my tiny 3 pebbles I had carefully selected from the millions on the ground.
But sometimes really cool things happen...
At Colossal Caves a weird old man approached me in the rock store and took me to the basement (a mother's nightmare, I was 7). While there he packed up a box full of cool rocks for me to take home for free. His name was Don Kieffer. He was really nice and we became pen pals for a few years.
I started collecting rocks almost 30 years ago and I still get a thrill when looking at them.
I have many many many different kinds of rocks. Some cheap. Some I paid good money for. But silly ol' Peacock Ore has been my favorite since this ridiculous adventure began.
Remember my Gem-o-Rama treasure hunt?
Yes indeed. Geek at heart.
5 comments:
Oooh! I want to see your collection! I totally love rocks too. I even taught earth science (including rocks) one year.
Isaac loves them too. Has a collection and everything. I can't say I share this with either of you, but I have my own oddities! Keep on collecting! Isaac would probably be jealous of your collection!
that's cool! i need a new hobby.
I remember that about you! And then I forgot...fun to see you still carrying on the tradition. Or obsession, whatever.. :) And your post about Hannah's haircut is great!
Those ARE beautiful! My grandma is an avid rock collector - most from her ranch in MX. Each of them, according to Grandma, is a "choice rock". I love that term. :)
Post a Comment