Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Dress.

It horrifies most people when I tell them I sold my wedding dress.


We were moving, and it took up too much room.


As classic and timeless as I think it is...


I honestly didn't think Hannah would want it when she got married.


I sold it to a girl who was desperate for a modest dress. She was getting married in just a few days and hadn't found a dress yet. It fit her perfectly. She was so happy and grateful.

It felt good knowing my dress was getting married again.


I liked that.

P.S. I kept my veil and butterfly hair pin for Hannah on her wedding day.

10 comments:

E B said...

That's almost exactly what I did with mine! Only she wasn't getting married in a few days, more like a few weeks. My mom was desperate for me to wear hers but I'll be honest - not my style. And a little too big.

The Draxler Days said...

I love how you post about past and present things. It makes it fun and exciting!

Marie said...

Do you have another pic like the top one where Jared isn't peaking, or did I miss that all this time?

Lisa, you should submit this story to a de-clutter book or something. It's so classic. How you didn't have to hold on to something, and you were able to help someone else (and get some $)And how life is so much better since you let go. You are so inspiring. Now I need to get rid of something.

Cannwin said...

Woah, background change. I had to double take to make sure I had the right blog. That's what.... a first?

I can't imagine getting rid of my wedding dress, but I did demolish my flowers and get rid of all but one of each... they just took up to much room.

Love that top pic. It took me a second to see Jared back there. hehehe

Seymour Chase said...

i like the past intermixed with the present posts, too.
my material sentiment is definitely checked by available space. i threw out all my yearbooks because they were just too big and heavy to deal with - and look, now there's facebook, so it all worked out. but i still have my az license (w/ my maiden name) - but that's kind of a mix of sentiment and the fact that it doesn't expire until i'm 60.

Diana said...

Lisa, I too am inspired. And I hope Marie is not too inspired to get rid of something or at least not inspired to get rid of her wedding dress because I have plans to use the material from her dress to make my wedding dress some day. Recycling is good too, right! I agree with everyone though, great post!

Susie Faye said...

lisa, i love this post. i have learned a lot of what not to do cuz my mom is very overburdened by her "stuff". My sister always tries to teach me the fine line between being sentimental and then OVERLY sentimental. i love that you kept the veil for your girl. And I totally agree with your friend Marie, you should submit this to some de-clutter book. yea for letting your dress get married again!

Tiffany said...

Don't make me get rid of mine when you help me get rid of my other junk this year.

Elizabeth said...

That's sweet that your dress is getting married again...sometimes it makes more sense to let stuff go. It was fun to see more pics of your wedding/dress, you'll have to post some up-close shots of the veil/butterfly hairpiece. I totally smiled when I read that you had a butterfly hairpiece! That's my girl! ;)

Erin said...

I sold mine too! Best thing about it was I sold it for a hundred bucks more than it cost!