Monday, October 25, 2010

Lame Claims To Fame.

We all have our random connections to fame that we'll drop into conversation to look cool and receive a "that's neat" from whom we've just told.

Here's our claims:

Jared and his Dad cleaned David Spades windows once.


My second cousins met Keanu Reeves because they used to board his sister's horse at their ranch.


My mission companion's Grandpa invented the T.V. (Hi Farney)

The first murder ever solved by DNA was in my other mission companion's home town. It's awesome when she tells the story. Better than going to the movies. (Hi Maritza)

I did the twist with Chubby Checker on stage.
My mom paid me $20 bucks to do it.


I was on the Wallace and Ladmo Show. I won the giant Tootsie Roll. (Only AZ people will understand this. It was as cool as being on Sesame Street for you AZ outsiders.)


Jared's Grandfather was the Governor of Arizona.

Also on my mission I rang the buzzer of Barbara Streisand's summer home. (Or so the neighbor's gardner said so.) It was huge and gorgeous.

Paul Anka kissed my Mom. (He was a singer, "Put Your Head on My Shoulders")

My Dad was a marine.

We currently live in Hyde Park, famous for Barrack Obama's house. About a mile away from us. It's always surrounded by police, even when he's not there.


My Grandpa was in WWII. He received 2 purple hearts. He got shot in the butt and the back.

I've been inside the White House, Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, and The Louvre. I illegally took a piece of the Colosseum home for my rock collection. I was 10. Give me a break. That rock practically jumped into my hands.

Some claims are lame, some kinda "that's neat".

What's your claim?

13 comments:

Cannwin said...

-I once bumped into Katarina Wwitt, olympic figure skating gold medalist.

-My dad was supposed to fly from Mongolia to Afghanistan on Sept. 10, 2000 but decided to come back to the US instead.

-South Dakota's State Representative (John Thune) kissed my baby.

-I've checked Al Neuharth into a hotel before (owns USA Today)

-My husband once got a letter from the presiding bisopric thanking him for his military service.

-I almost ran over Tom Brokaw.

-My brother-in-law met Tom Brokaw.

-I once walked right past Mike Tyson without realizing it.

-A week later my friend ended up in front of Mike Tyson and his girlfriend in a Burger King line (AZ Mills) and had a nice conversation with the girlfriend.

-I saw Katie Couric speak.

-I worked at a hotel that Clarence Thomas had stayed in.

-I've met all of the South Dakota Supreme Court Justices.

-One of my friends is Sandra Day O'Connor's step-niece.

-I chatted it up with a movie producer on an airplane once, without ever asking his name. He named off all these people he knew and all these movies he'd worked in and I have no clue what his name was!

-I rubbed shoulders with an entire South Korean Baseball team for a month or so (spring training, AZ)

-My dad contracted Malaria in Africa.

-My Grandfather knew Dale Murphy so well that when my grandpa fell (off a 2 story building) Dale Murphy came off of the practice field to find out how my grandpa was doing.

-I've interviewed Carolyn Hart and Jeanne DuPrau (both best selling authors)

-I saw John Kerry's motorcade drive past on his way to the ASU presidential debates in 2004?, a few minutes later I informed a police officer that there was an unattended bag on the side of the road. (I think the second parts cooler. hehehe)

Hmm, I think that's it... it seems like I'm missing a big one but I can't think of what it is. If I come up with it, I'll be sure to tell you. :)

Seymour Chase said...

i can't believe you were on the wallace and ladmo show! my childhood is sooo jealous.

Greg said...

David Spade? Wow!

Ash and Joe said...

to know you :)

Jess Hammond said...

One time me and my friends were at the 2002 Winter Olympics in SLC and we were all saying how it would be cool if Apollo Ono (the hot speed skater) was in the car next to us. Then we looked over and sure enough, he was there. We jumped out of the car and took a picture with him at the red light.

Jess Hammond said...

I have seen Beck and Gary Sinise (separately) on Michigan Ave.

Jess Hammond said...

The lead guitarist for Moby gave me his guitar pick.

Jess Hammond said...

I was the assistant to the General Manager of the Park City Marriott which is the host hotel for the Sundance Film Festival. A few celeb sightings. Do you like how I leave a separate comment for each event?

E B said...

Nice! I'm pretty sure I've seen an apostle or two at the airport over the years. And my grandparents met during WWII while they were both based in Chicago - my grandpa here at the Midway and my grandma with the Navy up north. Navy Pier? Who knows.

Laurel Baker said...

Brandon was on the "Wallace and Ladmo Show" too!! He said that the kid NEXT to him got the bag...not him! They skipped right over him!
Anyways...I shook John Bytheway's hand and got his autograph after going to one of his firesides!
As a youth, we went on a temple trip to Salt Lake, and after doing baptisms for the dead we saw Pres. Monson and the rest of the twelve walking down the hall. They stoped and chatted with us...Pres. Monson joked about the name of our town!
We recentley had Elder Bednar come and speak at our Stake Conference, and at the Sat. adult session, I sat about 6 rows back from the front....and I swear Elder Bednar looked right at me!!
I caught a signed beach ball at a Bryan White concert. (He is a country singer) I don't know if that counts!

Elizabeth said...

When I was a kid, we saw Danny Devito and Rhea Pearl in SF.

My friend was on the towers a week before Sept 11th.

My mom sat in Robert Redford's chair (she knew his housekeepers in UT).

Legend has it that my dad shook Walt Disney's hand while at Disneyland.

I met the 2 John from They Might Be Giants and have their autographs.

I have met Robert D Hales, Julie B Beck, John Byetheway and John Groberg.

President Monson came to our stake conference in CT.

That was a fun read. This is all I can think of right now.

Kira: said...

Awesome. I think that's a pretty impressive list. Thanks for the shoutout, Toeman!

I catered the wedding of the youngest son of the man who invented Word Perfect.

I've served breakfast to the governor of Utah (who is currently the US Ambassador to China), the ambassador from Austrailia, and dinner to the mayor of Salt Lake. I've also shaken hands with Orrin Hatch- at my grad school graduation.

I've shaken hands with President Faust, President Monson, Elders Packer, Eyring, Oaks, Perry, Christofferson, Scott, Ballard, Nelson, and Holland, plus Elders Bateman, Samuelson, Lawrence, and Butler, of the 70s. I guess that's what happens when you live in Utah.

My dad has met all kinds of famous people while flying, and Rich met Gweneth Paltrow when he worked at the SL airport.

and then there's the TV thing.

I am in no way famous myself. Doubt I'll ever be... maybe infamous though :-)

Kira: said...

Oh, and once, Sister Hinckley winked at me. And I was in Presidents Faust and Hinckley's ward in Salt Lake. That was crazy!