In an attempt to be more sentimental...


I made special home-made blankets for my kids that they can keep forever.
Something from me to them.

The plan was to give it to them when they were born.

But somehow growing and birthing a baby is distracting and takes priority over making blankets.
I finished Hannah's when she was 5 months old. She loves it.

I finished Asher's at 18 months old.
I was a bit more distracted.

(back)
Since Asher loves blankets, I assumed he would instantly fall in love with what I had put hours into. After all, it is a symbol of my love.

When I presented the precious gift, he screamed, pushed it away, and wanted his usual blanket.
He did not like it.
Punk.

As an act of defiance I would put it on him after he'd fall asleep, hoping that his unconsciousness would fall in love with it.
Also in defiance I referred to it as his "favorite" blanket.
This made Jared laugh...

because it wasn't.
It took about a month for him to warm up to my painstakingly made blanket.
He still prefers his elephant blanket that his Aunt Marie made, but will use my blanket when no others are in sight.
P.S. I can't sew worth beans. I can only sew squares. But hope someday to be awesome at it. I dream of making cool dresses and such for Hannah. Gotta start somewhere.
4 comments:
Hey, I was with you when you bought that fabric! They are awesome!
What a good mom!! That is awesome that you would think to make your kids something "homemade from you!" I LOVE that space material on Asher's! My Tyler would think that is AWESOME! He is ALL about SPACE! Very impressed!! Maybe I can be a good mom and do something like that for my boys one day! ;)
Nice blankets. I always wish that I could sew but sadly I do not know how and when I was younger and my mom tried to teach me a little bit I didn't have the patience.
My mom started a graduation quilt for me when I was like 12 and I'm 30 and it's still not done...so the fact that you got them done before age two is very impressive to me. I think they are real cute! I love handmade things.
If you cut your patterns/fabric out accurately then more complex things aren't really that hard. I wish we lived closer so we could sew together!
Post a Comment