Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Goldilocks Must Be Punished.

I was reading a Goldilocks book to Hannah and noticed what a weird story it is. Basically Goldilocks trespasses on the bears property, wanders into their house and starts messing things up. She eats their food, breaks their furniture, and sleeps in their beds. Who does that?



And then when the bears find her she is scared off into the woods.
This story seems confusing to kids. Is Goldilocks a good or bad girl? Did kids identify with her because she's a little kid (as apposed to a bear)? If so does this mean it's alright to mess with people's stuff in a quest to find the "just right"?

Wikipedia has a good history of the tale. Originally Goldilocks was an old women. This makes alot more sense since old women are generally bad. And when the bears found her they first tried to burn her, then drown her, and, being unsuccessful in both attempts on her life, finally "chuck her aloft on St. Paul's church-yard steeple". That'll teach you old woman.

9 comments:

brett and carly said...

That is the scariest picture I have ever seen. I'm sure to have nightmares tonight!

Melissa said...

That is one freaky old lady. Where did you find it? I agree that is a weird story to read to children.

Kristy said...

We have Goldilocks on CD and the girls will listen to it in the car, along with a few other books. Savannah has come to the conclusion that Goldilocks is very naughty for going into someone else's home without permission. But one day she made the keen observation that Snow White must also be naughty because she went and broke into the Dwarf's home out in the middle of the woods. So what do you tell her? No, it was okay because she then went and cleaned everything up...or she's the princess and she can do whatever she wants. Not really a win win situation. Definitely an odd story though.

Elise said...

That is one gnarly old woman.

Tanya Leigh said...

Yeah, so many stories are just a bit of a double-take. I like to think of it as a way to teach kids how NOT to act: don't wander away from home, don't enter other people's homes, and don't think you can just barge around everywhere. ;)

Mardee Rae said...

Yeah, I had this realization a while back, too. I ended the story explaining that she made a mess and didn't clean up so the bears were mad, and they are still mad because she just ran off! Have you had to read the three little pigs yet? I mean, having to explain to a two-year-old that the wolf wants to EAT the pigs, the pigs are afraid to die, and then, don't worry, little one, in the end the wolf boils in a pot and the pigs dance around him...ahhh, a happy ending.
I totally make happy stuff up while she looks at the pictures. :)

Mardee Rae said...

Oh, and that post comparing Asher's pic with you, Jared, and then Christopher Walken is hilarious. Too good!

mommy said...

Okay that picture is freaky.

Aaron wants to know if that's the Hill Witch from 30 Rock.

And I have found that most fairy tales are either morbid (Hansel & Gretel) or teach really bad principles. Lame.

Cannwin said...

woah where the heck did you get that picture...!!! I'm going to have nightmares and that woman is going to play the main role.