Thursday, October 22, 2009

Keeping Me On My Toes.

I've never been to the ER for an emergency till now.

Early in the day, last Friday, a jar fell out of the refrigerator and broke. I cleaned it up, vacuumed, mopped, and scoured the floor for remains with my hands. After all, I do have little girl bare feet and a crawling baby to think of.

Many hours later. I hear Asher in the kitchen choking on something. I rush to him and pull out a large piece of broken glass and it's bloody. My heart stops and the emergency procedures begin.


I investigate his mouth first to decide whether I take him to the ER, call 911, or wait. I can't see any additional blood coming out and he seems okay. A friend recommended calling his doctor first. The doctor said to take him to the ER immediately. So I do.

3 doctors examine his mouth and don't see anything wrong. Asher is smiling and laughing the whole time. I feel like a fool for coming.

But just in case, they x-ray his chest and throat to see if he swallowed any glass. He didn't. But the doctor said swallowing glass is serious and it was good that I brought him in. That made me feel less foolish.

The blood on the glass was from his finger. Asher got a tiny cut on his thumb. It bled on the glass before he put it in his mouth. And that was the blood I saw when I pulled it out. His mouth and throat are fine.

In the end his thumb didn't even need a band-aid.



It was a bad experience, but a good reminder that you have to watch those snoopy kids carefully. They will find, eat, and choke on anything you overlooked.

I was already a paranoid mother. It's been kicked into high gear and now all toys remotely small enough to fit inside his mouth are being thrown in the trash.

When Hannah figures that out, she won't be happy.


Thank you Liesl for being a fast friend.
Thank you Jessica for watching Hannah and lending me your car.
I feel loved.

12 comments:

Katie said...

Scary! I'm glad everything is all good. I'm not glad that I have these kind of experiences ahead of me. And I'm sure it was a good idea to take him to the ER- don't feel silly!

Kira: said...

Glad everybody is ok. I'd be freaked out too!!

Elizabeth said...

How scary! I'm so glad that everyone is ok. I'd be so worried as well and I'm glad you got rid of the small toys.

When my sister was like 3 she fell off the second story of a shed we were building...she was cradled by a tarp so she didn't land hard, just had the wind knocked out of her. By the time we got to the ER, she was running and dancing around...the nurse was like "Why are you here???".

We still laugh about Laura "trying to learn how to fly".

I swear little kids are made of rubber!

The Draxler Days said...

Oh dear, why does anything in life have to be made out of glass. It always seems to break one way or another at my house! Sinkholes, fabulous...especially by myself in a quiet house!

Courtney said...

Wow that could have been a lot scarier. Glad that Asher was fine (except for the little cut finger). You should never feel foolish for doing what you think is best for your children.

mommy said...

That is the number one reason I'm so glad when my kids finally walk - then they aren't crawling around putting stuff in their mouths. It's impossible to find everything before they do. I'm glad he's okay!

Kristy said...

I hate scary emergencies! And your heart just stops when it's anything that involves your kids. I'm so glad that it all turned out ok. Keep up the good mommy work.

Jess Hammond said...

you are loved my dear.

Cannwin said...

Boston choked on a tack when she was around 9 months old. It came back up a little bloody and I said a few swear words. I'm glad he is okay. It is REALLY freaky when they swallow things, especially things with sharp edges.

ps I went to the hospital with Ian last winter (he was 18 months ish) because he was having a really hard time breathing. They sent me home with a diagnosis of 'rapid breathing.' I went to the pediatrician the next day and he diagnosed him with pneumonia. *grumble*

Melissa said...

I am so sorry! Every time I go to the ER I feel foolish. Glad that little cutie is okay.

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh my GOODNESS! That would be VERY scary!! You did the totally right thing -- I love that you mention his thumb didn't even need a band-aid :) :) :)

Oh, and {secretly} one of my favorite things to do is throw away little toys that have been abandoned on the floor ;) I ask myself, "Will they even notice this is missing?" If the answer is 'no' - sionara!

Susie Faye said...

holy scary! thanks for sharing that so we can all be more aware. Your family is so beautiful.